Subscribe to Same-sex Marriage in the Church and Nation by Email

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Weekends (at least for the time being) will be devoted to sharing some of the better articles I came across during the week.  In this post, I'm featuring two articles that may connect the dots between bizarre and violent behavior and its underlying cause.  It's the scientifically verified notion that homophobic people are often gay themselves and acting out through what psychologists call projection.

Here's a summary statement from the first article, Science Daily:
The findings provide new empirical evidence to support the psychoanalytic theory that the fear, anxiety, and aversion that some seemingly heterosexual people hold toward gays and lesbians can grow out of their own repressed same-sex desires.
This may explain the antics of one notable homophobe, Fred Phelps, as written about by one of his former devoted followers, Lauren Drain, in this Huff Post article.  Here's Ms. Drain,
"I never understood why, when [the media asked him], “Why are you so against the homosexuals? Did you have a homosexual experience? Do you have homosexual tendencies?” And he would get so mad, he would shut down. And he’d be like, “I can’t talk to this person anymore, they’re stupid.” His reaction to that was stronger than any other question you can ask him. So I always wondered that — why does he get so mad? If I’m not gay, I’ll just say I’m not gay. And I’m not going to freak out, like, “Why are you calling me gay?” I always thought that was super strange."
Check these articles out.  It should be pointed out that the studies do NOT say that all homophobes are themselves gay.  But one is left to wonder who might not be.

No comments: